Located in eastern Buncombe County
Proximity to other towns:
11.7 miles east of Asheville
4.4 miles west of Black Mountain
Elevation: 2220 feet
Land area: 6.36 square miles.
Population density: 711 people per square mile
United States (16.6%),
Population in July 2007:
4,526 people live in the central Swannnoa area.
The population for the zip code encompassing Swannanoa is a little over 10,000
Most common occupations for males:
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (8%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (7%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (6%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (4%)
- Health care (21%)
- Educational services (9%)
- Textile mills and textile products (8%)
- Accommodation and food services (7%)
- Social assistance (5%)
- Personal and laundry services (4%)
- Finance and insurance (4%)
Swannanoa compared to North Carolina state average:
Median house value below state average.
Unemployed percentage below state average.
Black race population percentage above state average.
Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
Renting percentage below state average.
Institutionalized population percentage significantly above state average.
Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average