Carolyn Fryberger chose the Beacon area to start a new organic farm. Her farm lies in the shadow of the looming development atop Flat Top Mountain and the Swannanoa Mountains. In this excerpt she writes of her new neighbors:
- "On Sunday I was out raking around the compost pile. Louise, my neighbor who is 80 and grew up on a farm near Boone, stopped by to tell me I was working too hard. She gently scolded me, calling me "baby doll," "little child," and "little Carolyn," as she always refers to me. Later when I had come back in the house there was a knock on the door - it was Louise with some potato soup, fresh off the stove. Jack is another neighbor; he and his wife Lulu live on the lot contiguous to mine. Jack was born in the house they live in, and his parents worked at the Beacon Mill just up the road (a blanket factory, now demolished, and the reason that all these houses are here in the first place). Lulu was born and raised just 5 miles up the road in Black Mountain. ....
- ......My other contiguous neighbor, from the treeline to the ridge, is the Cliffs of Swannanoa. From my window you can see the No Trespassing signs tacked onto trees in a young forest - a forest that has regrown since being clearcut during the Beacon era. A forest that Jack, Jeanie and their children know like the back of their hand. Many of the special spots they remember there are gone, dynamited to make way for roads, tunnels, golf courses and multi-million dollar houses. And now they and their children are trespassers on land that shaped them and their community.....
The Cliffs at High Carolina
In June of 2006 The Cliffs Communities Inc. received approval from the Buncombe County Planning Department to begin construction in their 1,284 acre, 592-lot subdivision called The Cliffs at High Carolina. The project has grown considerably since the initial application. High Carolina, the largest land development in the county, now covers 3,200 acres. Approximately 10% of the tract will remain natural open space, the balance of the land is dedicated to the Tiger Woods golf course, 1,300 home sites, and various recreational facilities.
"Tiger Woods' first foray into golf course design is in the desert terrain of Dubai. His second one will present an entirely different challenge. Yesterday, the world's best golfer confirmed that he will design a mountain layout for the Cliffs Communities at High Carolina, between Asheville, NC, and Greenville, SC. The course, which will be laid out especially for walkers, will sit at an elevation of 4,000 feet amid a community of homes priced well into the millions of dollars. Scheduled opening is sometime in 2010... Membership in one of the Cliffs courses confers membership in all. The current initiation fee is $125,000, with dues nearing $500 a month......... In announcing the Cliffs venture, Tiger said he wants to design a course his "friends" would enjoy playing. Given the company he keeps, High Carolina should be tough. "
America’s Best Private Club Membership
The Cliffs Communities® offers a membership unlike any in America. Membership in one community entitles you to over $150 million in completed amenities at all eight, including what will soon be eight courses of championship golf crafted by the masters - Jack Nicklaus, Tom Fazio, Gary Player, Ben Wright, Tom Jackson, and now, Tiger Woods - and a comprehensive wellness program developed in conjunction with renowned health and medical experts.
Source: The Cliffs Communities website (http://www.cliffscommunities.com/)At The Cliffs, we operate under the mission of providing a lifestyle for our members that goes beyond that of typical private club communities. Celebrating multi-generational families. Celebrating conservation and giving back. Celebrating the uniqueness of our natural settings. Celebrating wellness, camaraderie and fun. Celebrating life. It''s this mission that leads us to envision and create new vacation properties in unique international destinations.
These international properties are truly original experiences, tailored for our members and their families. With quaint lodges and a handful of rooms, you and your family have the opportunity to make these destinations your own private paradise, a once-in-a-lifetime adventure catered to your specifications
- Prime Commercial site in Swannanoa. 8.73 acres at only $1,750,000. Ideally located at the intersection of U.S. Highway 70 and Warren Wilson College Road, only two miles from the new Cliffs development. All utilities available. Zoned CS and ready for development. Seller will subdivided. Acres: 8.73
- "Historic renovation, New everything ! Main level is set up as pub/bar on the North side and resturant / catering on the south side, 1,000 sqft patio for outside seating. Other uses possible. Entire first floor has 14 ft ceilings, hardwood floors New store fronts and interior connection if desired. Corner lot with plenty of paved parking & overflow, Dumpster pads, off site signage on HWY 70 & Whitson Rd,
Available For Sale $900,000 for all or portion of LLC negotiable for end user, pub improvements underway, resturant negotiable subject to upfit and user. Custom bar with recycled wood from the building, large comminuty 10,200 resident in the valley of swannanoa desires and needs
The Cliffs are coming!
Tiger Woods signature course just 3 blocks from the entrance. "
- Gated subdivision with views of Craggy Gardens, Blue Ridge Parkway, and Swannanoa Valley conveniently located between Asheville and Black Mountain and a short drive to shopping, restaurants and I-40. Alpine Mountain also joins new upscale The Cliffs subdivision High Carolina. Large lot ideal for your own private estate in a private setting surrounded by nature and mature hardwoods. Lot can possibly be subdivided.
- Offered At: $1,500,000 Approx 5.5 +/- acres on front of property zoned commercial and 6.6 +/- zoned R-1. Water & sewer on US 70, 3 phase electrical at site. Great potential in busy area. Two existing houses are useable - sold "as-is." Two separate septic systems, 1 well. Brick house has back up oil heat. 24x30 Outbuilding. Located near new Tiger Woods/Cliffs Golf Course.
- Offered At: $275,000
Long range mountain views east & west. Several building sites under 2500 FT elevation means no slope laws affecting property. Unrestricted land! Offers incredible privacy with close access to Asheville, Black Mountain & the new Cliffs Community. Wonderful property for private estate, family compound or sub-development.
- This is an opportunity of a lifetime. Incredible level ridgetop homesite with spectacular long range southern views(the same views many of The Cliffs at High Carolina lots have at $500K+ per acre). Perfect for active or passive solar home. Private, mostly wooded lot which had a circular driveway installed some years ago. Short of the Cliffs new project, nothing else on the market even comes close!
If you had any doubt that developers desire mountainside locations for new homes, consider the recent rush of subdivision applications that recently arrived on Buncombe County planners’ desks.“ Twenty-three subdivision applications came in before the deadline,” said David Young, a Buncombe County Commissioner.
Source: (Golf Community Reviews:
The Cliffs at High Carolina Property Report:Will Landslide Risks be Disclosed?
The planning for The Cliffs at High Carolina has been in the news since the summer of 2006 when Jim Anthony, President of The Cliffs Communities, Inc. acknowledged that the company had received permission to build homes and a golf course on an expansive 3,200 acre mountain tract in Swannanoa, North Carolina.